Monday, September 7, 2009

Point of view

When I lost my job last June 18th, I felt a little nervous thinking how many people are unemployed and very few jobs are available since alot of companies have closed and some are either laying-off or holding off on their hiring process due to the present economic situation. And the big question is: how long do we have to endure this crisis and will the economy be able to bounce back? And will I be able to find a job soon? No one knows for sure.

I remember on the drive home, I was thinking of a good strategy to break the news to my husband. I knew for sure that he'll get upset. But to my surprise, he took the my bad news lightly and gave me a big hug and told me not to worry. I guess, I'm lucky for having such a loving and supportive husband.

It's been three weeks since I've lost my job and I'm really enjoying my vacation and unemployment benefits for the first time! Aside from recuperating from my carpal tunnel surgery, I go to lunches with friends, spend more time with our 3 dogs, go to the gym for light cardio excercises, and watch all my favorite shows that I have on TiVo. It's just so good to have this free time for myself and practically do anything that I want at my own pace!

And then one day a call from Kaiser came regarding a possible job. Within two weeks I had 2 interviews and a job offer to start work with them on Sept 21.

Two days later, I had another job interview this time at Western University of Health Science in Pomona. And as the day goes by, I had more calls for interview coming in. I declined and accepted Kaiser's offer.

Looking back, job isn't so hard to find after all. Or did I just get lucky? There are available jobs out there but, the question is ...... is it your field of expertise? Do you have an excellent track record of your past work experiences? Do you have connection within the organization to get the job? There is a great number of qualified unemployed people and that makes the competition very high. And these reminds me of the saying "survival of the fittest" and "may the best man wins".

And remember, patience and timing are key factors in job hunting. Don't give up easily and market yourself the best way you can.

No comments: